Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hemophobia (Prompt 15)

    The sight of blood makes me squeamish. It doesn't matter who the blood belongs to or why I'm looking at it either. The last time I had blood work done I passed out, and at work a couple of weeks ago, I was nauseated at the sight of a co-worker's bloody nose. With this information it should come as no surprise that massive amounts of blood really unnerve me. Oh who am I kidding? Massive amounts freak me out. All of this is important because one particular day in my life will forever be ingrained in my mind. 
     It was a very sunny day in mid-August. My good friend and I were on a mini-road trip to Lake Powell. We had the air conditioning on "max" and the radio turned almost all the way up. About three hours into the drive, we entered construction. The long winding roads were deceiving and snake-like. There were moments where we didn't move at all. 
    The construction zone eventually ended. I was beyond hot and definitely sweaty when we actually began to reach speeds over 50 mph. I looked over at my friend (who was driving) and said, "Step on it, sister! I want to get there sometime before it gets dark! Please and thanks." We laughed, but it seemed as though everyone we had just been stuck with had the exact same idea. It wasn't long before we were traveling at 80 mph. I remember glancing out my window then, and seeing clouds moving in. I slowly put my seatbelt on. 
    We were about 45 minutes away from the lake. The cars in front of us all slammed on their breaks. Some swerved. I screamed and attempted to secure myself by clutching the window next to me. We were fine. We all got out of our vehicles assessing every one's well-being when we saw smoke. Three of the men from cars in front told us to stay put while they went to figure out where it was coming from. I'm not sure if I was still in shock from the near-death experience or if I simply didn't listen, but I followed them to the scene of a horrific car accident. To this day I still don't know how that minivan ended up upside down in a ditch. I pulled out my phone and dialed "911" with a couple of other people. I gave the operator as much information as possible as calmly as I could. I then hung up and watched as the men tried to find out if people were trapped inside. There were. 
    When the police and paramedics arrived bodies were pulled out of the van, not people. Every single passenger (there were four total) inside had died and all of their lifeless bodies were covered in blood. My friend and I watched as each was checked once more for a pulse then put in a bag and onto a stretcher. I felt sick. I ran to the opposite side of the road and vomited. My friend came to hold my hair as I sobbed and puked. There was so much blood...

No comments:

Post a Comment