Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No seconds, please! (Prompt 14)

Tuna Casserole
    "Why are we here?" I always used to ask my mother. It didn't matter where we were; I felt like I always needed a legitimate excuse as to why I was where I was. My mother always answered with the same flat "because." The most common place I remember asking this question was at church for "gatherings." Though there was always food, I hardly ever ate and I never found my legitimate reason for being forced to be there. Wasn't Sunday service enough?
Green Bean Casserole
   Every one of these "gatherings" seemed to revolve around food. Too bad they didn't actually revolve around good food. It seemed to me that everything those women made came in a decorative glass casserole dish with some kind of cute made-up name that was supposed to make you actually want to at the very least try it. 
Chicken Pot Pie
    I learned my lesson. When I was about eight years old I went to a church potluck with my mom. Going down the table full of lumpy casseroles, my plate was quickly overflowing with the oddest looking combination of so-called food. My mother made me try at least every dish on my plate. Needless to say, that was the last time I wanted to attend a church "gathering."
Jello Salad
    As I got older and attended more of these unnecessary congregations I learned to only take a minimal amount of food and to try not to make contact with one of the ladies with a severing spoon standing behind the tables. Since I've moved out and on my own, I can happily say that I haven't gone to a single church "gathering" and I don't plan on going to one anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment