Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Trip...Never Taken (Prompt #11)

    The glistening reflection of the sun warmed my bare skin almost immediately. The cool breeze was a refreshing contrast and I could taste the salt from the ocean in my mouth. It was strange to think I'd be here alone for the next couple of days and that I didn't tell a soul where I was going. 
    It was enjoyable and even comfortable being alone and worry-free (well, almost worry-free) for once. Time to reflect and take in the beauty of life and my surroundings is just what I felt I needed. Because I felt like the trip was supposed to be all about finding myself and being "alone" for the first time in my entire life, I decided that no one would accompany me and I would tell no one where I was going. 
    Upon arriving in California (not exotic or very far away from home, I know), I checked into my hotel and settled myself in my less than spectacular room with a more than spectacular view. From my small window on the second floor, I could see the beach and the most picturesque little aging pier. I wanted to jump out the window, straight into the beautiful water down below. 
    The next few days of my mini-vacation consisted of only wearing shoes when absolutely necessary, eating enough food for at least five other people, cleaning sand out of every nook and cranny of my body, and caring about nothing but myself. I would have never come back to reality given the option. 
    My week in my own little paradise passed by quickly. On my very last day I took a walk on the beach. I wanted to feel the sand between my toes and feel the gentle, warm ocean breeze once more before returning to the land-locked desert that I call home. Though I didn't do any sightseeing or tourist-like activities, I felt like I had gained more than I had set out to. It was a valuable experience that I knew I wouldn't trade for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment