Thursday, March 24, 2011

Magic Moments (Prompt #33)

    I'm not socially awkward; I'm just an introvert. I'm not shy; I just prefer not to initiate conversations. 


    Sometimes life leads us into awkward and uncomfortable situations. Why? Who knows. All I know is that everyone experiences them. It's one of the perks of being human. 


    Who ever decided that changing your clothes should be mandatory for physical education classes should be beaten and strung up by their ankles until they come to their senses. They must've known that they'd be responsible for daily awkward situations. Let's get one thing straight before I even begin my story. This is my disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form an athlete. I'm clumsy and am quite lucky if I make it through an entire day without tripping over something and falling on my face. 
    Sophomore year. High School. First day of dance class. I walk into the girls locker room where at least thirteen other girls are already seated on the floor waiting for everyone else to show up. I chose a corner in the back where I could sit by myself. The room was definitely old. There were walls and walls of lockers whose paint was chipping and tops were caked in multiple layers of dust. There was an aging brown, leather love seat pushed up against a tall counter-like table. Everything was old, including our teacher, Coach Swift. Her name was pure irony. 
    After everyone was seated on the cold, cement floor that smelled like bleach, the coach came in. "Okay ladies. Welcome to good 'ol dance class. We're going to head down to the dance room. You'll find uniforms in every size on the counter in the back. Each of you grab a t-shirt and a pair of shorts and hurry to put them on. Yes, you have to. Don't complain or try to get out of it. It's mandatory and part of your grade. Now lets see some hustle!" I was horrified but I seemed to be the only one. I kept my cool and followed the others back to the counter where I grabbed a white cotton shirt and some black gym shorts. I waked back to my corner. 
    Girls were getting naked left and right. I have nothing wrong with the human body. I guess I just didn't feel comfortable seeing my classmates in their underwear and vice versa. I didn't want to join them. It must've been obvious that felt uncomfortable. " Be careful. Some of the girls like to play grab ass as soon as you take your pants off." I turned around, face flushed, to see a girl in her jeans and bra. " Hey. I'm Brittany and that was a joke... Jesus! Look at your face! I didn't meant to embarrass you. Listen, just between you and me, there's a restroom right around the corner. Why don't you go change in one of the stalls?" I looked at her and said, "Thanks, but I'm okay. This is really no big deal" and with that lie, I reluctantly began to take my clothes off. Brittany shrugged and put her gym shirt on. I had successfully managed to change my pants while she was putting her shirt on. Next came my shirt. As I went to lift my shirt over my head, I elbowed Brittany in the boob. "Ow!" I heard as my head came out of the shirt. She was looking at me while she folded her arms across her chest in defense. "Oh. My. Gosh." I said. " I am so sorry. I swear I didn't mean to. I mean I'm not like that. I wasn't trying to cop a feel or anything." She just continued watching me in silence. " I'm not saying that I have anything against girls who are like that. Oh wow. I'm just going to stop talking now. I am really sorry though." We just stood there in awkward silence. Brittany started laughing. It was still awkward for me. What was I supposed to do? Laugh with her? No. That could just do more damage. I chose to stick with the vow of silence. "You're a dork! In just three minutes of meeting you, I've learned that you like to grope girls and you're not a lesbian. We're off to a great start. Let's head to the dance room, shall we?"

No comments:

Post a Comment