Wednesday, March 23, 2011

To Be or Not to Be? (Prompt #29)

First Person:
    I looked at them from across the room. "Why couldn't I be like that?" I sometimes asked myself. Maybe it was because my family wasn't wealthy. That couldn't be it. Our school was in Apache Junction and many of their families weren't any better off than mine. It wasn't that I was some sort of outcast without friends; I just wasn't popular. That group of kids sitting on the other side of my math class, clustered together, always seemed like they were having such a great time. I wanted to have a great time in math class...
    I watched that same group of kids almost everyday. No, I wasn't some kind of obsessed stalker. I wanted to be one of them. I wanted to be part of their inseparable click. What drew them together? Looking at them from my seat in the corner I could see that though they all looked very different, they acted very much the same. They all had similar laughs and mannerisms. They used the same slang and improper grammar when the spoke (and probably when they wrote too). And though I did find all of this quite annoying, I still wished to be a part of it, if even just for a day. I wanted to be popular.




Third Person:
    It wasn't that she wasn't likable. She just wasn't one of them. She cared too much about things that didn't even matter to most high school students. She was in three different choir classes and spent her free time in after-school clubs. Though they didn't know her personally, they knew about her and people like her. She was wound too tight to have fun with them and she'd be one of those narks who would leave or go find an adult at the first sight of alcohol, drugs, or maybe even cigarettes. Taliena may have been a fun person to spend time with according to her own friends' standards, but definitely not to the popular kids'. She was too different to be part of the popular crowd. It would never happen. It was for the best though. Nerds shouldn't be popular too. It would upset the natural balance of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment