Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Family Divided (Prompt #20)

      When I was six years old, my parents got a divorce. My two younger sisters, ages 4 and 1 at the time, didn't understand the concept. To be completely honest, I'm not quite sure I grasped the entire concept myself, but if I didn't understand then, it didn't take me long to figure the rest out. Soon after the paperwork was done and the assets divided, my mom moved my sisters and I about five hours north of our father, five hours north of our home. Looking back now, I don't blame her for trying to get away but back then we were all angry. My sisters and I didn't see our dad for the next two years. We didn't know why and my youngest sister soon forgot about him altogether. My mother worked a full-time job and a part-time job on the weekends just to keep our household going. Things were rough. I do remember that much.
      When I turned eight, I was handed more responsibility. I was happy to help my mother in any way I could at this point. I had learned that we moved because she thought it was the best situation for my sisters and me and I assumed that we hadn't heard from dad because he chose not to contact us, not because our mom prevented it. I was given the responsibility of watching my two younger sisters. Now, you might think it inappropriate for an eight year old child to be babysitting a six year old and a three year old, but she was desperate and I was responsible. After school, Kanisha (my sister closest in age to me) and I would ride the bus to our apartment and my mother would pick up Tylissa (my youngest sister) from daycare during her lunch break and bring her to us. I would make sure Kanisha did her homework. We would do chores together and make sure Tylissa was kept out of trouble. Over time, I learned to cook and made dinner for everyone. I grew up fast, but I'm not complaining. We all do what we have to when the pressure is on. I would do anything for my mom. Taking on the responsibility of keeping our household together at the age of eight has helped me become the strong and responsible person that I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment