Thursday, April 14, 2011

Graphic Memoirs (Prompt # 49)

    Graphic novels and comic books/strips? Honestly, I'm not a fan and really haven't been for as long as I can remember. After reading several memoirs in the graphic illustrated form this week, my opinion hasn't changed much. Sure, the pictures help with reading comprehension (most of the time), but honestly, the way I see it, if the memoir was written in plain text form, would everything be as hard to follow? My guess is no. 
    The one benefit to writing a graphic novel is that the author can use the illustrations to help convey to the readers the different situations and settings exactly as they remember them. Usually, I prefer to use my imagination for these aspects of literature, but it only makes sense to see these as the author did. In " Lucky," I think having the author's memoir in plain text  with more detail to description and what happened between the main events (i.e. each new comic box) would've made it easier to follow. The thoughts were choppy and broken up into the most important happenings in the excerpt from the graphic novel, but I really think an actually novel with plenty of details would've made more sense to me. For this reason, I'm  going to have to say that graphic novels and/or comic strips aren't the best option for putting together a memoir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment